Saturday, April 9, 2016

Lawson's Story (Soldiers Of The World, World War II 1st Special Service Force)

 
There's things I could say about Treesa. Problem is, she thinks there could be kids reading this and warned us all to 'keep it clean'. Makes sense. Treesa talks like a Sunday school teacher when there's people around. It's how she was raised. When she's alone though, and something ticks her off, I've heard some words come out of her mouth she wouldn't tell her mother about.
 
Treesa's problem is she just doesn't get me. Never has. I'm an action figure, a soldier. Be All You Can Be and all that stuff. I'd trade my dogtags for a good adrenalin rush. Can't get that in a doll collection, not in Treesa's collection anyway.
 
Treesa picked me up at a discount toy store. Don't know why she bothered. I was on a shelf in her room for about a decade before she took me out of the box. Guess she just forgot about me.
 
When she decided to do something with me step one was to get me out of uniform and into civilian clothes. To bad she couldn't change my personality that easy. Maybe then she would've been happy. I'm a loner. Always have been. And I don't waste words. When the dolls started talking to Treesa one of them must've said something about me, 'cause Treesa got me alone and asked what the problem was.
 
"It wouldn't kill you to socialize a little," she said. Still can't believe she had the nerve to say it. "You're not exactly a social butterfly yourself," I said. I had her there. Figured that'd be the end of it 'til she said, "Still, it couldn't hurt to meet some other dolls. I hate to think of you being lonely."
 
I didn't like the way she said it. She was up to something. "What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.
 
"It means there are a lot of lovely female dolls in the collection who might want to meet you," Treesa said with a smirk. That ticked me off. Did she really not get it? "That's not what I'm made for!" I said. Treesa looked like she wasn't following, so I spelled it out for her. "I'm an ACTION FIGURE!" I said. "I was made to kick butt, not sit through tea parties with a bunch of dolls looking for Mr. Right!"
 
For a full three seconds Treesa just stood there. "Ok," she said. "If it bothers you that much forget I said anything." She sounded like she was trying to calm me down. Then she left. I'd won the battle, but not the war.
 
Later, Treesa tried introducing me to Rowena. Treesa was calling her Charity Violet back then, but I'll get back to that. If I'd known ahead of time what was coming I'd have took cover before Treesa showed up. But she ambushed me when I wasn't expecting it. She acted like she was just giving Charity a tour of the room, but I'm not stupid. I know a setup when I see one.
 
"Oh, hey Lawson," Treesa said when she found me, just by chance you understand. Right. "Charity this is Lawson. Lawson, this is Charity Violet. She's new here." Treesa tried real hard to sound innocent. Her tone was so sweet I got cavities just listening to her. I glared and kept my mouth shut. Charity must've noticed. When she said, "It's nice to meet you," she sounded like she wasn't sure how I'd take it. I nodded once but kept quiet.
 
Treesa looked at her watch. This was the part where she'd say she had somewhere to be, then she'd leave us alone to 'get acquainted' or whatever. I opened my mouth to say 'Don't even try it,' but Treesa beat me to the punch. A sucker punch. "I'm sorry Charity," Treesa said. "I know I said I'd introduce you to the Disney dolls but I have to go. I'm sure Lawson can give you directions." Treesa disappeared out the door. I was mad as heck. Charity must've noticed, 'cause she apologized right away. "I'm sorry," she said. "I don't mean to be a burden."
 
I looked a her. "Not your fault," I said. "Treesa likes messing with our lives, probably 'cause she can't get her own life together." It was a low blow. Not really fair to Treesa either, but I was too ticked to care. Charity just stood there, like she didn't know what to do. Then she said, "Treesa...does this sort of thing a lot?"
 
"You don't know the half of it," I said. "If she's not playing matchmaker she's pairing up siblings or arranging adoptions for doll parents who weren't planning on being parents." Charity looked nervous. Wasn't sure if what I'd said about Treesa had her spooked or if being around me intimidated her. "If you want some company I'd check by the window," I said. "Just pass the bookcase and keep going 'til you get to the black metal shelf unit in the corner. The window'll be on the left."
 
Charity took the hint. She thanked me, then left me alone. You've probably figured out we didn't pair up like Treesa wanted. Good thing to, 'cause I think Treesa changed her mind. She used to talk about Charity a lot around me. She doesn't do that anymore. And she changed Charity's name to Rowena for no reason. Said she thought Rowena was 'a better fit'.
 
Whatever Treesa's up to, she's playing her cards close to the vest. Just hope nobody gets caught in the crossfire.
 
Lawson


1 comment:

  1. You've been nominated!

    http://adventuresindollwonderland.blogspot.com/2016/04/quote-of-day-challenge-day-one.html

    ReplyDelete