Thursday, March 31, 2016

Kira's Story: Post 3 (Wet n' Wild Kira)


We've traveled through my past and have reached the present, but there is still one more story to be told. You know now what happened to my daughter Courtney, and how painful the loss was. What I didn't realize at the time was just how attached Treesa was to Courtney. Several months ago I was going about my daily life when by chance I came across a familiar face. Years came flooding back to me when I saw the brunette hair and the green eyes I remembered so well. Even the outfit was the same. "Courtney?" I asked, not believing what I was seeing.

"It's Cricket now," the doll said. "Treesa changed it when she got me home from the thrift store. I'm not sure why." This doll, Cricket, shifted the baby girl doll in her arms that I hadn't even realized she was holding and asked, "How did you know I was a Courtney doll?" I barely heard her question. I was staring at the baby she held, a baby who looked so much like my baby girl that they could have been twins. "The baby..." I said, my words trailing off. "She's not mine," Cricket said. "I mean, she's not MINE mine, but she's sort of mine. "I'm a Babysitter Courtney doll, and she came in the box with me, so she's my responsibility."

"I see," I said quietly after a moment or two. For just one second I'd thought that somehow, by some miracle, this doll was the daughter I had lost. "Excuse me," I said, "I need to find Treesa." I hurried off, sorrow and anger battling inside of me. When I found Treesa she was sitting at her computer. She had learned that dolls are alive some time ago, so I didn't hesitate to speak to her. "How could you?" I asked. "How could you bring another Babysitter Courtney doll into this house? No one will ever replace my daughter, no one!"

Treesa seemed startled when she heard my voice. She turned around in her chair, looking to see where the voice was coming from. When she saw me she said, "Kira, you scared me!" I wasn't in the mood to be pleasant. "You haven't answered my question," I said. Treesa made a calming gesture with her hands and said, "Kira, calm down! Let me explain!" I doubted that I would agree with whatever reasons Treesa had for buying a replacement Courtney doll. But I waited in frosty silence for her to go on.

"I didn't buy Cricket so she could be your new daughter," Treesa said. "I bought her for ME. I loved Courtney too! I loved playing with her when I was a kid! I was heartbroken when she broke! You know I didn't have many friends growing up. My dolls were my friends, even before I knew you guys were alive!" Treesa stopped for a moment, remembering the past. Then she said, "When I saw Cricket at the store, it was like getting part of my childhood back. I guess I thought if I had Cricket, it would be a little like having Courtney back. I didn't realize 'til after I bought her how much it would hurt you. That's why I didn't tell you Cricket was here. I was hoping you wouldn't find out 'til I thought of a way to tell you that wouldn't upset you."

At the time I couldn't understand why Treesa didn't realize how much having Cricket in the house would affect my family. I still don't know if I will ever really understand how Treesa thinks and feels. But then Treesa is human, and I'm a doll. I'm sure there are things about us that Treesa doesn't understand either. Some other dolls would argue that Treesa's meddling is proof enough of that.

I made sure the rest of my family knew Cricket was here. I didn't want any of them to go through the same confusion and disappointment that I had. We adult dolls felt that Cricket would be happier if no one told her about Courtney. We worried how Cricket would feel, if she learned she was a replacement doll. But our little girl Heather didn't understand, and one day the secret slipped out. We've all tried to reassure Cricket that we don't see her as a replacement. We see her as a new friend, someone unique and special. From time to time, when Cricket needed the rest, I've even helped look after Katydid, or Katie for short, the baby girl doll who came here with Cricket.

Cricket and Katie

I wrote in the beginning that my life has been full, and I think from the combined length of these three posts that you would agree. If you've accompanied me this far, I thank you for both your time and your patience.


Until We Meet Again, Kira




2 comments:

  1. Hello, Kira! I wish you and your family all the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes.
      Until We Meet Again, Kira

      Delete