Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Kyrio's Story (rebodied Mattel Fairytopia doll)

 
When I first meet somebody, they always ask about my name. A lot of dolls in Treesa's collection have...unusual names, but my name seems to stand out. I guess it's because it's not really a word. Treesa made it up.
 
When Dandelion suggested I post something, the first thing I thought of was how I got my name. So that's the story I'm going to tell. I first met Treesa at the thrift store, but this story doesn't really start until after my body swap, when Treesa started pulling out clothes for me. I know some of the other dolls already said this, but getting redressed by Treesa takes a long time. Some of the other dolls joke that she spends more time picking out clothes for her dolls than she does picking out clothes for herself.
 
 
When Treesa finally found an outfit she was happy with, for some reason, it reminded her of a song she'd heard. Treesa loves music, and she loves to sing. Any doll who has been here longer than a week will tell you that. But I'd spent most of the time since I'd gotten here recovering from my body swap. I hadn't spent much time with the other dolls or Treesa. So I didn't know that sometimes when Treesa's alone she randomly starts singing.
 
"Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand," Treesa sang. I was still a little groggy from my body swap, and I'd never heard of Duran Duran. So I thought Treesa had decided to name me Rio. She was actually considering it, but that's not important right now. The important thing is, for some reason, I absolutely hated the name. I can't really explain why. Maybe the grogginess was making me cranky. Usually it takes something pretty big to upset me that much. I don't like to rock the boat, or draw attention to myself. You also have to remember, this all happened before we started talking to Treesa. So I couldn't have just told her how I felt.
 
Now the way Treesa tells the story, she had just about made up her mind to call me Rio when another song popped into her head. The song was Kyrie, by the group Mr. Mister. Treesa says it was like she somehow knew I didn't like the name Rio. But she thought it might be sacrilegious to name me Kyrie because the full phrase, Kyrie Eleison, translates to Lord Have Mercy. So Treesa just combined Kyrie and Rio and got Kyrio. (The way Treesa pronounces it, it rhymes with cheerio.)
 
And that's how I got my name, the mash-up of two 80s pop songs. I've learned a little more about 80s music since then, mostly because I was curious. I was surprised how many 80s song titles have people's names in them: My Sharona, Come On Eileen, Jessie's Girl, Mickey, Billie Jean. I don't think I'd want to be named after the people in those songs though. So I guess I'm sort of glad Treesa went with Kyrio instead.
 
Everybody Have Fun Tonight, Kyrio



No comments:

Post a Comment