Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Elsa's Story: Chapter 2 (Disney Frozen Birthday Party Elsa by Mattel)

 
(Be sure to read Chapter 1 first.)
 
As the weeks passed, I saw a lot of Christian and Sven.  One day they were playing a game they made up with a small, plastic ball. The game was sort of a combination of catch and volleyball, with Christian tossing the ball to Sven who would then hit it back with his nose or antlers. Another day they had found a piece of string and were playing tug a war. I couldn't join in that time, since two against one is hardly fair. Christian also introduced me to Ryan and to Raymond James. They were two little boy dolls who sometimes played with Christian and Sven. I could see what Christian meant about them being a little afraid of Sven. I think they might have been a little intimidated by Christian too, since he's bigger than they are.
 
It didn't take long before Christian had me wrapped around his little finger. After about a month and a half I decided I wanted to make things a little more permanent. I went to see Treesa, privately, and told her I wanted to adopt Christian. Treesa looked startled at first. "Are you sure you're not rushing into things?" she asked. "Parenthood is a big commitment, and it's even tougher being a single parent. Just ask Harriet."
 
"I understand that," I said. "Believe me I've thought about this a lot. Every time I have to tell that sweet little boy 'goodbye' and 'I'll see him tomorrow' I have to force myself to walk away! It breaks my heart leaving him behind!"
 
Treesa didn't say anything for a while. Finally she said, "So, he got to you too. I told you he'd steal your heart if you let him. Why do you think I bought him from that yard sale in the first place? I've never even seen Frozen!"
 
At first I was stunned. I'd seen enough Frozen merchandise when I was still at the store to know the movie was popular. And Treesa had enough Disney dolls in her collection that I'd assumed she was a Disney fan. The stunned feeling was quickly replaced by skepticism. If Treesa had never seen Frozen, then why would she have bought TWO Frozen dolls? I was a Frozen doll myself, and Treesa knew that when she bought me. It was on my box. I couldn't believe that Treesa would've bought Christian AND me without ever seeing the movie. She must've been exaggerating to make a point. "If you've never seen Frozen then why did you get me?" I asked in a slightly sarcastic tone that let Treesa know I didn't believe her.
 
"That's different," Treesa said. "You're a Frozen Fever doll. I've seen that." Treesa continued. "It's not like I don't know what happens in Frozen. I've read enough about it online to get the basic plot points." Realizing that we'd gotten off topic, Treesa said, "But that's not the point. You said you want to adopt Christian, and it's my job to make sure you've thought this through and won't change your mind later. You realize Christian's a package deal, right. If you want Christian, you get Sven too. Those two are inseparable."
 
"I know," I said. Treesa kept going. "And I don't want you to feel obligated to take care of him just because you're both Frozen dolls," Treesa said.
 
"I don't feel 'obligated'," I said, getting emotional again. "I want to adopt Christian because I love that little boy! I don't care what doll line he's from!"
 
Treesa's expression softened. Finally she said, "as long as Christian's ok with it I won't try to stop you." Treesa had seemed so dead set against the adoption when I first brought it up that her sudden change of heart threw me. "Do you really mean that?" I asked. I wanted to be sure Treesa wouldn't change her mind again later.
 
"I want you to be happy Elsa," Treesa said gently. "I want you to have friendship and love. That's all I ever wanted."
 
I went to find Christian right away. He was with Sven, of course. They were looking out the window, trying to pick out shapes in the clouds. It was difficult, since there were more clouds than clear sky. "Hi Elsa," Christian said when he saw me.
 
"Hello Christian," I said, nervousness creeping into my stomach. What if Christian didn't want me to be his mother? I gathered my nerve and said, "Christian, there's something I'd like to talk to you about." The seriousness of my tone must have worried Christian, because his happy smile disappeared. I tried to look reassuring and said, "I wanted to ask you, if you would like me to be your mommy."
 
Christian's reaction startled me. His chin started to quiver, as if he was about to cry. Then the words just burst out of him. "But you can't be my mommy Elsa, you just can't! I don't want you to be my mommy!"
 
My heart broke, not just because of what Christian had said, but because I'd made him so upset. I was about to try and comfort him, to tell him that I wouldn't have said anything if I'd known it would make him so unhappy, and that I would never mention it again. Then Christian started talking to me again. "Raymond's mommy is no fun. She's always telling him not to do stuff 'cause she says he'll get his clothes dirty. She doesn't like to play hide and seek or catch or anything. I don't want you to be like that Elsa! I want you to stay how you are!"
 
I wasn't sure what to say to that. I had met Raymond James' mother Tiana, and she did seem like a sensible, no nonsense kind of doll. How could I convince Christian that my personality wasn't going to change overnight just because I was his mommy, that we could still play hide and seek or whatever else he and Sven wanted to play? Then Christian came up with a compromise. "You can be my big sister," he said. "Big sisters know how to have fun."
 
I smiled. "Alright," I said. We shook hands on it and that was that.
 
Treesa was right, being a caregiver is a big commitment. But in my case, I think the rewards outweigh the drawbacks. Every morning when we wake up, Christian gives me a hug. And every time he introduces me as his big sister Elsa, I can see just how proud he is to be able to say that. Ryan and Raymond James agree that Christian is lucky to have a big sister like me. And I feel just as lucky and proud to call Christian my little brother. But the most important thing is, we're happy.
 
Love is a powerful thing. It brings people, or dolls, together. The internet can also bring people together, so here's a heartfelt wish for you readers. I wish all of you the same thing that Treesa wished for me, friendship and love. And remember, love is something you have more of the more people you share it with.
 
 
Love From Elsa



2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! I'm glad you and Christian found each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MyLittleMegara,
      I'm so glad you enjoyed my post. It means a lot knowing I touched someone's heart. I wish you the best.
      Love From Elsa

      Delete