Friday, November 20, 2015

Lois' Story (Superman Returns Lois Lane Barbie)

 
The problem I have with being a character doll is character dolls don't get as much variety. Your average playline doll stars in a ballet, marries the prince, and saves the world all in the same day. But character dolls are usually stuck as whatever character they were modeled after. Between you and me I was getting really tired of being Lois Lane day in and day out.
 
I also had a 'super' annoying neighbor to deal with. I know statistically there must be plenty of Superman Ken dolls who can accept when they've been turned down and move on. This guy wasn't one of them. He wouldn't stop asking me out, even after I told him no. But what had really bothered me was the way he would ask. He kept using lines like 'we're part of a set' and 'we were made for each other'. He made it sound like he was only interested in me because I was a Lois Lane doll and he was a Superman doll. Personally I'd rather date someone who took the time to get to know me and then decided to ask me out. Supes didn't get that.
 
When I ended up at a thrift store I was really hoping whoever bought me wouldn't know who I was. I was nude, stuffed in a plastic bag, hanging from a wall rack with about half a dozen other nude, bagged dolls. I really thought no one would recognize me, that I was just another face in the crowd. I didn't get my wish. Treesa knew exactly who I was. When one of her sisters saw me later and said I looked familiar, Treesa told her I was a 'Lois Lane Barbie'. At least Supes didn't end up in the bag with me. I'm not sure what happened to him. Treesa didn't see him in the store or I would have heard about it by now. I have my sources.
 
I learned pretty quickly that Treesa is full of surprises. Before she picked out my new outfit, she asked if I had any preferences. I thought it over and decided I wanted something simple, comfortable, and practical. I wanted to get away from long gowns, ruffles, and anything else that reminded me of my original outfit. So I asked for jeans and a tee shirt. Treesa did her best, but you would not believe the trouble I had finding a decent pair of jeans. I'm a standard sized doll with a standard figure. You would think it would be easy for me to find clothes. But the retail, off the shelf Barbie jeans Treesa bought me were a no go. Let's just say, they didn't flatter my hips. But Treesa didn't give up. Eventually she found some decent, second hand jeans that actually fit well.
 
I thought I was finally getting the fresh start I wanted. Then I heard from a reliable source that Treesa was looking for a Superman Ken doll online. I felt so betrayed that instead of calmly talking things over with Treesa I just gave her a piece of my mind. She couldn't get a word in. When I stopped talking to catch my breath, Treesa grabbed her chance. She said that just because she wanted a Superman Ken doll for her collection didn't mean she expected me to pair off with him. She pointed out that in a collection this big I wouldn't even have to talk to him if I didn't want to. Treesa also argued that just because two dolls had the same mold, didn't mean they had the same personality. She said that if she did manage to get a Superman Ken he could turn out to be a perfectly nice guy.
 
She's right; I shouldn't judge other dolls because of how they look or who they look like. I wouldn't want to be judged for being a Lois Lane Barbie. If or when Treesa gets a Superman Ken I'll do my best to be polite, and I'll try not to let my past experiences affect how I treat him. I just hope whatever doll fate decides to send Treesa's way, doesn't turn out to be my old neighbor.
 
 
By Lois
Fashion Doll Memoirs Staff Writer



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'd like to thank MyLittleMegara for her comment, and for her fashion sense. It's nice to meet someone else who likes simple, comfortable clothing.
      By Lois
      Fashion Doll Memoirs Staff Writer

      Delete