Monday, September 28, 2015

Rampion's Story (Barbie Long Long Hair, brunette with blue streak)


Some of the other dolls might have hinted at it, but I'm going to come right out and say it. Treesa's a little weird. Take my name for example. No really, take it. I don't want it. Seriously though, I know it's not as bad as it could be. There's worse things Treesa could've named me. She didn't have much to go on after all. I'd better explain.

When Treesa names a doll, the first place she goes for inspiration is the name on the box. Even when she gets a doll at the thrift store, she ALWAYS tries to find out what the doll's original name was. Treesa bought me new in box, but the only words on my box were 'Barbie' and 'Long Long Hair'. She told me, when she named me Rampion, that it's where the name Rapunzel comes from.

I was cool with it at first. It was different, kind of edgy, you know? Then I found out what Rampion actually means. Another doll, Halle, told me rampion is a plant that people in Europe put in salads. She told me that in the original Rapunzel fairytale, the trouble starts when Rapunzel's birth mom sees rampion growing in the witch's garden next door and gets a pregnancy craving. She begs her husband to get her some, but the witch catches him. When baby Rapunzel is born, the witch claims her as payment for the rampion and names her Rapunzel, the German word for rampion. I asked Halle how she knew all that. She said she read it in a book Treesa left lying around. Makes sense I guess. Treesa loves books, and if anyone would know where Treesa got my name from it's Halle.

Halle's sort of the eyes and ears of the collection. She likes to stay on top of what's going on so she can keep the rest of us in the know. Halle always says, "Humans don't tell us anything." She does sort of have a point, and you can't really blame her for feeling that way. Things were kind of rough for Halle before Treesa made her part of the collection, so Halle doesn't really trust humans, Treesa included. But I won't go into that now. Knowing Halle, she's probably planning to write her own post, just so she can have her say.

I got kind of annoyed when I found out about my name. Who wants to be named after a vegetable? So I sort of complained to Treesa about it. Treesa said if you can have human girls named Fern and Ivy, you can have a doll named Rampion. I said humans don't eat ferns. She said Gwyneth Paltrow named her daughter Apple. At the time I couldn't come up with a snappy comeback. I'm sure Halle would've thought of something.

Then Treesa let me in on a secret. She said the reason she uses things like 'word association' to name her dolls is so she'll actually REMEMBER them. So I guess I'm stuck with Rampion. But when the dolls I hang out with have names like Dandelion and Shade, I guess Rampion isn't so weird after all.

So Long, Rampion




2 comments: