Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Geek Pride Day: 2021

 May 25th is Geek Pride Day, which according to the internet is a 'holiday celebrating geek culture'. For fans of English born, science-fiction author Douglas Adams, May 25th is also known as Towel Day, a reference to Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. I decided to take inspiration from Douglas Adams for this year's Geek Pride Day photo shoot.

Here we have Ken playing the role of Arthur Dent, the bathrobe wearing protagonist of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 'who really knows where his towel is'. The Superman symbols on the bathrobe are a bit of geeky fandom crossover on my part. That, and the colors coordinate with the towel pretty well.

This second photo is just for fun. I recently purchased a one-sixth scale BB-8 secondhand, and gosh darn it, I was gonna use him. But I only have two Star Wars dolls/sixth scale action figures in my collection at present, and I've already used Sabine for more than one Star Wars Day photo shoot. As for Han well, Fashion Doll Memoirs readers just saw him earlier this month in my 2021 Star Wars Day photo. And when I suggested doing another photo shoot with BB-8, Han wouldn't go for it. He told me he doesn't do 'cute', and not even BB-8 himself managed to win Han over.

The little droid does look a bit out of scale with 'Arthur' in the picture, since BB-8's coming up from behind and is some distance away.

BB-8 crossing the sands of Jakku (or as my brother calls it, 'not-Tatooine')

Happy Geek Pride Day to any geeks out there. May the Force be with you, Live long and prosper, Stay shiny, and above all, Don't Panic. I think that last one is especially fitting for the current times. Thank you Douglas Adams.

Signed, Treesa

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Have you seen the t-shirt that has a picture of a Dalek from Doctor Who on it and reads "Hey, it's R2-D2! I loved him in Star Trek"?
      Signed, Treesa

      Delete
  2. Towel day! I remember when I had a work mate who came to work with a towel. It was fun! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some places, people walk around barefoot to celebrate Hobbit Day on Bilbo and Frodo's birthday in September.
      Signed, Treesa

      Delete
  3. I hope you had a happy Geek Pride day. :D
    -Quinley
    P.S. I tagged you for The Mystery Blogger Award: https://qs-creative-corner.blogspot.com/2021/07/the-mystery-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up about the award, Quinley. I've kind of fallen behind on my Blogger reading list, so it may have taken me a while to find out about it otherwise. Although I'm not entirely sure why you chose to nominate me, since most of your questions seem to be 18 inch doll related while my doll blog focuses primarily on sixth-scale fashion dolls. I do own some 18 inchers though, so I'll see what I can come up with. Nominating people may be a problem for me however, since so many former doll bloggers are no longer actively blogging.
      Signed, Treesa

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. You had shown some interest in American Girl dolls in the past (you commented on my post about them once), so I thought you'd be perfect fo it. :)
      Also, don't worry about nominating people, I've seen people do awards where they nominate no one.
      -Quinley

      Delete